Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Change



I had to wait until I woke up this morning to actually realize and soak in what had just happened.

Barack Hussein Obama will become the 44th president of the United States of America.

In addition, he will be the first African-American to be elected to the highest position in the country. I know I did not speak about my vote yesterday, but this will probably give it all away. I have to say that I am proud to be a citizen of this country, and to have been a part of a new historical moment. I could not help but feel overwhelmed about how much this nation as a whole has evolved in a matter of a few decades. Yes we can. (: My vote counted, and I am still trying to grasp the reality of today. A lot of hopes have been sparked, including mine.

Then came this bitter bite of the elections this morning. Prop 8 was passed by California voters. I understand that marriage is sacred, and is shared between a man and a woman. The church said to vote yes on it, but I could not find it in my heart to take away that civil right from my gay and lesbian friends. Everyone deserves to be happy in life, and taking away their right to marriage just seemed so wrong. Unfortunately , California along with many other states in the country felt otherwise. Define equality?

That's my take on the elections for now. History.